Monday, March 7, 2011

Standing on the sidelines, bum hip to keep me company

I have to admit, it was tough to stand on the sidelines Saturday and watch Steve take off down Louisiana Avenue in Buffalo with about 4,000 people in the Shamrock Run while I stayed put. And it wasn't just because of the wind gusts nearly causing lift-off as I struggled to hang on to the mammoth golf umbrella Steve provided me to stay dry.

I was so looking forward to this event, to running in a race with that many people. Wow! Though the Old First Ward Shamrock Run wasn't in the nicest part of town, there was such a good a vibe to event. But instead, I had to join the few brave spectators standing in the rain and gale force winds and wait for Steve to cross the finish line without me. It was agony, weather aside.

I so wanted to run. Never is the urge to run as great as when I'm injured. And I am still injured. I can feel that I'm on the mend but it will be a few weeks yet before I start pounding the pavement again.

To make up for missing this run, I will run two races in April. In the meantime, I'm renewing the gym membership and starting swimming and cycling to keep up (or build up) my endurance in a low-impact way.

I tried jogging on the spot today, feeling a bit cocky now that the limp is subsiding, but my leg nearly gave out. So I still need a time out.

But please, keep the donations coming. It's a sure way to keep my spirits and motivation elevated.

No comments:

Post a Comment