Sunday, June 12, 2011

Hip, hip hooray



I ran for the first time today in four months.

Four long months.

And I feel remarkably good.

After weeks of physio and massage therapy, I finally worked up the courage to run. Look, I'll admit, I've been a little gun-shy about doing so.

Four months ago, I came home from a race with a pain in my hip. 'Give it a week,' I figured. 'I'll be fine in no time.'

But weeks passed with me limping to and fro and living in pain. Just when I thought things were getting better, the pain would come back with a vengeance.

I started to wonder if I'd ever walk properly again, let alone run. My inactivity led to some weight gain and feelings of overall grossness. So when I headed out today, I tried to keep my mind from drifting to thoughts of 'Oh no, what was that twinge?' when I ran.

Or worse yet, the realization that I wasn't ready. But I was. I took it slow, walking for five minutes and running for one. In the end, I only ran five minutes, total, but I came home feeling reinvigorated and inspired. And most importantly, pain free.

I plan to try the same routine on Tuesday and Thursday and build up my time moving at a good clip while trimming down the time spent doing a slow stroll.

My next running clinic starts in three weeks. My goal for the humane society is back within reach. And I plan to sprint across the finish line.

All in good time, of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment