Saturday, February 12, 2011

Two young philanthropists

Sarah and Mollie raising money for the Lincoln County Humane Society.


I could use a lesson or two in marketing.

Put me on a reporting job, and I'm not shy at all. Put me on the job of trying to sell something I'm involved with and I tend to be a bit shy. I'm not a limelight seeker. I'm quite comfortable skulking below the radar, frankly.

But if I ever decide to learn a few tricks about promoting something, I'm not going to bother with any marketing courses or reading the latest how-to guide. Nope. I'm taking my cues from Mollie Crago-Ruffett and her friend Sarah (whose last name I don't know). These 10-year-old gals have no problem getting the word out about something AND getting people to respond positively.

Case in point: today at Niagara Seedy Saturday, these two set out a mason jar adorned with cutouts of cats, dogs and bunnies, a hand-printed sign that read "Donations for the Humane Society," packaged what appeared to be at least 100 tiny bags of seeds and then managed to ask every person that cast a gaze their way if they wanted to donate and get some seeds in return.

Very few people said no. Had it been me left with that task, I'd have waited until someone approached, then very meekly started into this long preamble about the humane society and what it's doing, what I'm doing and finish with an 'Oh and if you'd like to, you can donate and get some seeds.'

Clearly, I'm lost at this marketing and sales stuff and I need to learn to just cut to the chase.

Mollie and Sarah's efforts today brought in $186.65 for the LCHS and the spay/neuter clinic — it was actually really sweet listening to Mollie talk about the clinic and hear her enunciation of the 't' in neuter.

So thank you, you two, for all your efforts and your lesson in marketing 101: kids make great sales folk.

No comments:

Post a Comment